Opening this weekend are director Seth Gordon's Identity Thief and director Steven Soderbergh's Side Effects.
- The casting of Melissa McCarthy and Jason Bateman should be very appealing given the former's increasing popularity since Bridesmaids and the latter's own fan base.
- Aside from the bombing of Movie 43, audiences haven't had an appealing R-rated comedy in awhile.
- Director Seth Gordon is on a roll after Horrible Bosses and Four Christmases became box office successes in 2011 and 2008, respectively.
- Social media tracking has been strong, and the film currently leads Fandango's Top 5 sellers.
- With certain exceptions, comedies tend to be more about legs than a huge opening weekend.
- Bateman is not a consistent box office draw (see The Change-Up).
- A strong cast including Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Mara Rooney, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
- Director Steven Soderbergh found success with similar thriller themes in Contagion.
- Could be overshadowed by Identity Thief and the recent glut of thrillers in the market.
- The film is nowhere to be seen in Fandango's best five sellers as of Wednesday.
- Channing Tatum hasn't been featured prominently in much of the marketing.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Identity Thief||Feb 8, 2013||Universal
|Side Effects (2013)||Feb 8, 2013||Open Road
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Silver Linings Playbook||Nov 16, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Jan 25, 2013||Paramount
|Mama||Jan 18, 2013||Universal
|Zero Dark Thirty||Dec 19, 2012||Sony / Columbia
|Argo||Oct 12, 2012||Warner Bros.
|Django Unchained||Dec 25, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Bullet to the Head||Feb 1, 2013||Warner Bros.
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.