Friday, April 19 will see the domestic release of director Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise, after a successful overseas debut.
- Universal is banking on the star power of Tom Cruise combined with the big scale sci-fi genre in which he's had past success.
- As the only wide release of the weekend, competition will be minimal.
- The film's marketing campaign has heavily pushed the film as a pre-summer event.
- Cruise's star power has diminished, though it's becoming clear that he can still draw with the right film. Is Oblivion it?
- With 42 breaking out last week and now receiving strong word of mouth, some of Oblivion's potential audience could opt for a more sure bet instead.
- Social network tracking has been mediocre over the last few months.
Check out our predictions for Oblivion and the remainder of the weekend's top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Oblivion (2013)||Apr 19, 2013||Universal
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|The Place Beyond the Pines||Mar 29, 2013||Focus
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Mar 28, 2013||Paramount
|Scary Movie 5||Apr 12, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Evil Dead||Apr 5, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Jurassic Park 3D||Apr 5, 2013||Universal
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.