Opening this weekend are Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa and The Counselor.
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
- The Jackass franchise soared to new box office heights with the third entry's $50.4 million opening three years ago.
- Pre-sales for the comedy are notably strong in comparison to other films in the marketplace.
- The franchise's Facebook following has grown significantly in the last few years, totaling more than 28 million fans.
- Without the entire Jackass crew, will audiences go in for a Borat-like plot-centric prank movie starring only Knoxville in makeup?
- Twitter and Flixster activity have been very modest, although that could be a cause of the film's late release announcement.
- Unlike the third Jackass, this pic won't have the advantage of 3D ticket sales to boost grosses.
- The ensemble cast included high profile names such as Brad Pitt, Javier Bardem, and Cameron Diaz.
- Ridley Scott's and writer Cormac McCarthy's fan followings.
- Facebook and Flixster activity are fairly healthy.
- The glut of adult-driven films (namely Gravity and Captain Phillips) in the market right now have significantly softened demand for this.
- The film's star, Michael Fassbender, isn't yet a household name or box office draw.
- Ridley Scott's box office allure has also diminished in recent years.
Check out our forecast for these films and the remainder of the top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa||Oct 25, 2013||Paramount
|Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Counselor||Oct 25, 2013||Fox
|Captain Phillips||Oct 11, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Carrie (2013)||Oct 18, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2||Sep 27, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Escape Plan||Oct 18, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|12 Years a Slave||Oct 18, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Enough Said||Sep 18, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Prisoners||Sep 20, 2013||Warner Bros.
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.