Long Range Forecast: 'The Call' & 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone'
Featured Stories - on January 19, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Two new films have joined our Long Range Forecast this weekend: The Call and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. Both are currently scheduled to open on Friday, March 15.
- Sony has a very strong history marketing thrillers.
- Could prove to be good counter-programming to Burt Wonderstone, especially on opening weekend.
- Halle Berry has largely been out of the spotlight for a number of years now.
- The film's trailer showing too many plot points could hurt.
- What will the rating be? Prospects could be hurt in this case by an R rating, but on the other hand could be helped out if the rating is PG-13.
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
- The teaming together of Steve Carell and Jim Carrey.
- Opening weekend prospects are brighter with Admission now opening the week after it hits instead of the week before, but holding power could be hurt in turn.
- Is surrounded by higher profile March releases, as it opens after Oz: The Great and Powerful and before The Croods and G.I. Joe: Retaliation.
- Carrey isn't the draw he used to be, while Carell saw his drawing power slow during 2012.
- Based on early marketing, could prove to be more of a niche comedy than a broad reaching one.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, Movie 43, Parker and Beautiful Creatures. Also, Admission has been temporarily removed from our forecast due to its release shift.
Check out our predictions for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|The Incredible Burt Wonderstone||Mar 15, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Call||Mar 15, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|Dead Man Down||Mar 8, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Jack the Giant Slayer||Mar 1, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Last Exorcism Part II||Mar 1, 2013||CBS Films
|21 And Over||Mar 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|Phantom (2013)||Mar 1, 2013||RCR Media Group
|Dark Skies||Feb 22, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Snitch (2013)||Feb 22, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|A Good Day to Die Hard||Feb 14, 2013||Fox
|Escape From Planet Earth||Feb 14, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Safe Haven||Feb 14, 2013||Relativity Media
|Beautiful Creatures (2013)||Feb 14, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Side Effects (2013)||Feb 8, 2013||Open Road
|Identity Thief||Feb 8, 2013||Universal
|Warm Bodies||Feb 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Bullet to the Head||Feb 1, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters||Jan 25, 2013||Paramount
|Movie 43||Jan 25, 2013||Relativity Media
|Parker||Jan 25, 2013||FilmDistrict
* = 4-day weekend (Friday-Monday)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.