Weekend Predictions: 'The Call' & 'The Incredible Burt Wonderstone'
Featured Stories - on March 13, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Opening this weekend are two star-driven vehicles that will aim to capitalize on the box office momentum established by last weekend's strong opening of Oz. The Call and The Incredible Burt Wonderstone debut on Friday, March 15.
- The lack of thrillers competing in the market.
- Halle Berry's starring credit.
- A very modest marketing campaign.
- Berry hasn't been a significant box office draw in a long time.
- Flixster user anticipation is in the cellar, comparable to recent films such as Broken City and Dead Man Down.
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
- Steve Carell and Jim Carrey could pack a big one-two punch when it comes to intriguing comedy fans.
- With Identity Thief entering the last stages of its wide release, audiences may be ready for something different.
- Reviews have been disappointing, and online buzz has followed suit.
- Carell's ability to draw is usually show more in the legs of his films rather than the opening weekend.
- Carrey's ability to draw isn't what it used to be.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the weekend's top 11 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|The Incredible Burt Wonderstone||Mar 15, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Call||Mar 15, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Jack the Giant Slayer||Mar 1, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Identity Thief||Feb 8, 2013||Universal
|Snitch (2013)||Feb 22, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|21 And Over||Mar 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|Dead Man Down||Mar 8, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Silver Linings Playbook||Nov 16, 2012||Weinstein Company
|Escape From Planet Earth||Feb 15, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Safe Haven||Feb 14, 2013||Relativity Media
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.