Weekend Predictions: 'Pain and Gain' & 'The Big Wedding'
Featured Stories - on April 24, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
The final weekend before summer kicks off will see the release of Michael Bay's Pain and Gain alongside The Big Wedding.
Pain and Gain
- Michael Bay has become somewhat of an event name relative to most directors thanks to recent success with the Transformers series.
- Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson both have transformed into reliable leading men over the last few years.
- The smaller, more niche scope of the film is outside of Bay's wheelhouse.
- Opening on the final weekend before summer could result in low demand for a decidedly non-event movie.
The Big Wedding
- Wedding-themed comedies tend to at least find modest business around this time of year.
- The film's recognizable names such as De Niro, Williams, Heigl, and Sarandon could help.
- Wedding-themed comedies don't usually break out without significant buzz--something lacking with this film.
- Though the ensemble is relatively strong, none individually have proven to be a box office draw in awhile.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the top 12 in the chart below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Oblivion (2013)||Apr 19, 2013||Universal
|Pain and Gain||Apr 26, 2013||Paramount
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Big Wedding||Apr 26, 2013||Lionsgate
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|The Place Beyond the Pines||Mar 29, 2013||Focus
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Mar 28, 2013||Paramount
|Scary Movie 5||Apr 12, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|Evil Dead||Apr 5, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Jurassic Park 3D||Apr 5, 2013||Universal
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.