Weekend Forecast: 'Grown Ups 2' & 'Pacific Rim'
Featured Stories - on July 10, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Opening this Friday, July 12 (with Thursday night previews) are Adam Sandler's Grown Ups 2 and Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim.
Grown Ups 2
- The first film showed excellent legs as it made four times its opening weekend domestically.
- The home video sales of Grown Ups further cemented it as an audience favorite.
- Families are a major component of Sandler's and this franchise's audience base.
- Twitter, Facebook, and Flixster activity are all at very healthy levels.
- Sandler films tend to be critic-proof, so his first sequel could be no different.
- The glut of comedies in the market this summer could alleviate some upfront demand for another one, however, that could be offset by the family + sequel appeal.
- Comedy sequels tend to be significantly more front-loaded than their predecessors.
- Even Sandler's fan base decided not to turn out for Jack & Jill and That's My Boy in recent years.
- Will the comedic team-up still be as fresh for audiences three years after the first successful effort?
- Guillermo del Toro's strong, if limited, fan following.
- The nature of the film's potential appeal to male audiences of all ages--particularly young boys, a segment that drove the Transformers films.
- Enthusiastic reviews and early screening word of mouth have slowly started to drum up buzz late in the marketing cycle.
- As an original film, audiences could embrace it after a summer filled with sequels treading the same ground.
- Flixster activity has been relatively healthy, as have early Fandango sales.
- Awareness and interest levels have suffered in recent weeks due to the studio's lazy marketing campaign.
- The heavy amount of competition in the market already.
- The film lacks any recognizable stars to lure in general audiences.
- Original films don't always break the mold on opening weekend due to the lack of built-in interest and appeal. Legs will be more crucial for this.
- Twitter and Facebook activity have left something to be desired.
Check out our forecast for these openers and the remainder of the weekend's top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Cume through Sunday, July 14|
|Grown Ups 2||Jul 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Despicable Me 2||Jul 3, 2013||Universal
|Pacific Rim||Jul 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Heat||Jun 28, 2013||Fox
|The Lone Ranger||Jul 3, 2013||Disney
|Monsters University||Jun 21, 2013||Disney
|World War Z||Jun 21, 2013||Paramount
|White House Down||Jun 28, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Man of Steel||Jun 13, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain||Jul 3, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.