Long Range Forecast: 'Gravity' & 'Runner Runner'
Featured Stories - on August 09, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Our Long Range Forecast takes a first look at October this week with the addition of Gravity and Runner Runner. Both are slated to open on Friday, October 4.
- The combined star power of Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.
- Director Alfonso Cuaron's considerable fan base and critical success from 2006's Children of Men.
- After a slow September, Gravity could be a major draw for adult audiences.
- Potential awards buzz could drive the film.
- Very positive online trailer reactions.
- The concept has been compared, often unfavorably, to that of Open Water.
- Cuaron's name isn't necessarily a box office draw.
- Clooney previously starred in a similar sci-fi film, Solaris, which disappointed at the box office.
- Opening against Runner Runner could hinder opening weekend potential given the resurgeance of Ben Affleck's career.
- The combined star power of Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake.
- Affleck's success with Argo and The Town may convince audiences to check this one out, even though he doesn't carry the leading role.
- Timberlake will be releasing another album around the time of the film's release--perfect marketing synergy.
- Director Brad Furman's The Lincoln Lawyer displayed solid holding power in 2011.
- Timberlake has yet to prove himself a box office draw, with 2011's In Time performing very modestly.
- With Affleck not being behind the camera for this film, long term prospects compared to Affleck's recent films are more questionable right now.
- Opening against Gravity could hinder opening weekend potential given its arguably stronger opposing star power.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include Kick-Ass 2 (down), Lee Daniels' The Butler (up), Paranoia (down), and Jobs (down on domestic total).
Check out our forecast for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Runner Runner||Oct 4, 2013||Fox
|Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2||Sep 27, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Don Jon||Sep 27, 2013||Relativity Media
|Baggage Claim||Sep 27, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Rush (2013)||Sep 20, 2013||Universal
|Battle of the Year||Sep 20, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Prisoners||Sep 20, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Insidious Chapter 2||Sep 13, 2013||FilmDistrict
|The Family (2013)||Sep 13, 2013||Relativity Media
|Riddick||Sep 6, 2013||Universal
|Getaway||Aug 30, 2013||Warner Bros.
|One Direction: This Is Us||Aug 30, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Closed Circuit||Aug 28, 2013||Focus
|You're Next||Aug 23, 2013||Lionsgate
|The World's End||Aug 23, 2013||Focus
|The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones||Aug 21, 2013||Sony / Screen Gems
|Jobs||Aug 16, 2013||Open Road
|Paranoia||Aug 16, 2013||Relativity Media
|Lee Daniels' The Butler||Aug 16, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Kick-Ass 2||Aug 16, 2013||Universal
* = 4-day weekend
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.