Weekend Forecast: 'Thor: The Dark World' & 'About Time'
Featured Stories - on November 06, 2013 by BoxOffice Staff
What should be the biggest opener since mid-summer, Thor: The Dark World debuts this Friday. Universal's About Time also expands into a nationwide release.
Thor: The Dark World
- The successes of The Avengers and Iron Man 3 have significantly expanded the potential audience for related Marvel flicks.
- Disney has mounted a consistent and high-penetration marketing campaign over the past two months.
- Flixster and Twitter activity are performing ahead of the pace of Iron Man 3, while Facebook buzz is also strong.
- The original Thor was well-received during its theatrical run.
- Overseas audiences have already sent the film to more than $100 million since opening last week.
- Audience reactions to Iron Man 3 were somewhat divisive. Will there be a spillover effect?
- Without Robert Downey, Jr.'s Iron Man character, Thor: The Dark World is in new territory as the first post-Avengers flick without him.
- Will buzz for November 22's The Hunger Games: Catching Fire have any overshadowing effect on this?
- Rachel McAdams has a successful history with rom-coms such as The Notebook, The Vow, and The Time Traveler's Wife.
- Director Richard Curtis found a great deal of success with past hits like Notting Hill and Love Actually.
- There are very few options for date night crowds over the next couple of months.
- The film's limited debut was very modest, indicating that it won't likely perform on the same level as Love Actually did ten years ago.
- Audiences may feel this is too "been there, done that" for McAdams if they remember Time Traveler's Wife.
- Opening against Thor: The Dark World won't help matters.
Check out our forecast for these films and the remainder of the weekend's top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Nov. 10|
|Thor: The Dark World||Nov 8, 2013||Disney
|Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa||Oct 25, 2013||Paramount
|Ender's Game||Nov 1, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|Last Vegas||Nov 1, 2013||CBS Films
|Free Birds||Nov 1, 2013||Relativity Media
|12 Years a Slave||Oct 18, 2013||Fox Searchlight
|Gravity||Oct 4, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Captain Phillips||Oct 11, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|About Time||Nov 1, 2013||Universal
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2||Sep 27, 2013||Sony / Columbia
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.