Long Range Forecast: 'The LEGO Movie' & 'The Monuments Men'
Featured Stories - on December 13, 2013 by BoxOffice Staff
BoxOffice takes a first look at February 2014 with the addition of The LEGO Movie and The Monuments Men to our Long Range Forecast, slated to open February 7.
The LEGO Movie
- The enduring popularity of the LEGO brand, which has extended from toys to video games and numerous direct-to-video/television specials.
- Appeal to older crowds should also be strong for an animated movie.
- Online buzz has been impressive since the first trailers debuted this year, partly driven by the presence of popular characters like Batman.
- February isn't known for delivering many blockbusters, particularly in the animated genre as kids are back in school.
- Opening against The Monuments Men may deter any older crowds without young families.
- Is the brand strong enough to deliver strong numbers on the level of Wreck-It Ralph and Tron: Legacy?
The Monuments Men
- The large ensemble cast of popular actors, led by George Clooney and Matt Damon.
- The release delay created some free press for the flick, helping to generate awareness early.
- The Ocean's Eleven-meets-Saving Private Ryan vibe could be very attractive for moviegoers during a time of year with few appealing options.
- Clooney's directorial history hasn't produced any major box office hits (yet).
- The male-heavy flick will need a strong ad campaign to pull in female crowds.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include The Wolf of Wall Street (up), Walking with the Dinosaurs (down), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (down).
Check out our forecast for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||First Weekend of Wide Release||Cumulative|
|The LEGO Movie||Feb 7, 2014||Warner Bros.
|The Monuments Men||Feb 7, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|That Awkward Moment||Jan 31, 2014||Focus / FilmDistrict
|I, Frankenstein||Jan 24, 2014||Lionsgate
|Ride Along||Jan 17, 2014||Universal
|Devil's Due||Jan 17, 2014||Fox
|The Nut Job||Jan 17, 2014||Open Road
|Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit||Jan 17, 2014||Paramount
|The Legend Of Hercules||Jan 10, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones||Jan 3, 2014||Paramount
|Lone Survivor||Dec 27, 2013||Universal
|Labor Day (2013)||Dec 27, 2013||Paramount
|Grudge Match||Dec 25, 2013||Warner Bros.
|The Secret Life of Walter Mitty||Dec 25, 2013||Fox
|47 Ronin||Dec 25, 2013||Universal
|Justin Bieber's Believe||Dec 25, 2013||Open Road
|The Wolf of Wall Street||Dec 25, 2013||Paramount
|Walking With Dinosaurs||Dec 20, 2013||Fox
Her: $8 million/$32 million
Saving Mr. Banks: $14 million/$89 million
American Hustle: $18.5 million/$107 million
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: $48 million/$195 million
* = 3-day weekend (Fri-Sun)
* = 4-day weekend (Fri-Mon)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.