Weekend Forecast: 'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit', 'Ride Along', 'Devil's Due', & 'The Nut Job'
Featured Stories - on January 15, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Four films open this weekend ahead of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on Monday. Also, look for strong holds from various Oscar nominees following Thursday's nominations. Check out BoxOffice's final forecast below.
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
- The built-in franchise appeal of the Jack Ryan character.
- Paramount's marketing campaign has kicked into high gear since the new year started.
- Flixster activity has been solid.
- It's been more than a decade since Jack Ryan appeared on film (The Sum of All Fears); attracting younger moviegoers will be difficult.
- The competitive market including Ride Along and various Oscar contenders.
- Chris Pine has yet to prove an ability to draw big at the box office.
- Kevin Hart's popularity has skyrocketed over the past two years.
- Ice Cube also significant commercial success on his resume, most recently in his supporting 21 Jump Street role.
- Flixster activity is strong.
- With the number of films featuring Hart lately, have audiences been overexposed to him?
- The competitive market.
- Very poor early reviews.
- Horror fans have been buzzing for the film online.
- The failure of the latest Paranormal Activity spin-off makes room in the market for this to surprise.
- Much of the buzz seems due to a controversial marketing campaign that has resulted some of its ad materials being banned in the United States.
- With no built-in franchise appeal, this needs a strong word-of-mouth grassroots campaign to get people in.
- The competitive market.
The Nut Job
- Families will be turning out stronger than normal this weekend thanks to the holiday frame.
- This will be the first traditional CG animation to open since November's Frozen.
- Open Road Films is new to the animation genre, and the weak marketing campaign shows it.
- With Frozen still going strong, this likely won't break out.
Check out our 4-day forecast for these films and the remainder of the top 13 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Monday, Jan. 20|
|Ride Along||Jan 17, 2014||Universal
|Lone Survivor||Dec 25, 2013||Universal
|Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit||Jan 17, 2014||Paramount
|Frozen (2013)||Nov 22, 2013||Disney
|The Nut Job||Jan 17, 2014||Open Road
|American Hustle||Dec 13, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Wolf of Wall Street||Dec 25, 2013||Paramount
|August: Osage County||Dec 27, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Devil's Due||Jan 17, 2014||Fox
|Saving Mr. Banks||Dec 13, 2013||Disney
|The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug||Dec 13, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Legend Of Hercules||Jan 10, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|12 Years a Slave||Oct 18, 2013||Fox Searchlight
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.