INDIA: 'Yaariyan' Leads the Chart on January 17, 2014
Yaariyan won the head-to-head battle against Dedh Ishqiya for the top spot at the box office among domestic films in India. The Bollywood romantic drama took a $4.1 million bow from 1,204 screens compared to Dedh Ishqiya's $2.9 million debut from 1,024 screens.
Dhoom 3 finished its fourth week under the $1 million mark after taking $729k from 932 screens. The blockbuster is already India's highest grossing film of all time and has collected a total of $42 million from Hindi screenings alone. Bollywood classic Sholay was re-released in 3D last weekend and posted a $339k take in its first hold, taking the cumulative total of the re-release to $1.7 million
Top Ten Domestic Films in India:
* Hindi grosses only.
'Dhoom 3' Reaches $88M Worldwide on January 17, 2014
Dhoom 3 has now reached $88 million at the global box office. The most successful Indian film of all time has already grossed $61.3 million in its home country and an additional $26.6 million outside of India. North America is the film's top foreign market with an $8 million cume.
The full press release from Yash Raj Films is included below:
NOW AT $88 MILLION BOX OFFICE
Friday January 17th 2014: Yash Raj Films' Dhoom:3 closed another glorious week as it continues it's reign at both the Indian and Overseas Box Office!
The film now has the distinction of being the number 1 Indian film in all key International territories.
Gross Box Office Collections:
• India ₹367.64 Cr / $ 61.3 Million
• Overseas ₹159.8 Cr / $ 26.6 Million
• Total ₹527.48 Cr / $ 87.9 Million
Top 5 International Territories:
· US & CAN : $ 8.05 Million (previous highest - $6.5 mil)
· UAE & GCC : $ 6.62 Million (previous highest - $4.4 mil)
· UK : $ 4.24 Million (previous highest - $3.9 mil)
· Pakistan : $ 2.16 Million (previous highest Indian film $0.895 mil and Pakistani film $2.09)
· Australia : $ 1.92 Million (previous highest $1.1 mil)
• THE FIRST INDIAN FILM TO REACH GBO $88 MILLION MARK AND COUNTING WORLDWIDE!
• THE NO.1 FILM IN THE HISTORY OF INDIAN CINEMA, PREVIOUS HIGHEST $63 MILLION.
• THE NO.1 INDIAN FILM IN KEY INTERNATIONAL MARKETS LIKE NORTH AMERICA, UK, MIDDLE EAST, PAKISTAN, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, FIJI ETC
• ONLY INDIAN FILM TO GROSS MORE THAN $1 MILLION ON OPENING DAY IN NORTH AMERICA AND CONSECUTIVELY FOR THE WEEKEND.
• HAVING GROSSED ALMOST DOUBLE OF ANY OTHER INDIAN FILM IN TERRITORIES LIKE NEW ZEALAND, FIJI AND EAST AFRICA, DHOOM:3'S STUPENDOUS FEAT OF CROSSING $88 MILLION WORLDWIDE, HAS BROKEN MULTIPLE BOX OFFICE RECORDS AND CONTINUES TO MARCH FORWARD TO SET NEW BENCHMARKS FOR INDIAN CINEMA THE WORLD OVER
• DHOOM:3 MARKS THE FIRST INDIAN PRODUCTION TO BE RELEASED IN IMAX ACROSS 13 TERRITORIES, INCLUDING NORTH AMERICA, U.K., NETHERLANDS, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND ETC MAKING IT THE LARGEST NON-HOLLYWOOD IMAX RELEASE.
International territories opening up in the coming days:
German, Romania & Peru just opened this week, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Russia, CIS, Turkey and others to follow.
Dhoom:3's stupendous feat of crossing $87.9 Million WORLDWIDE, has broken multiple Box Office Records and is on course to make even further B
'Dhoom 3' Hits $8M in North America on January 14, 2014
Dhoom 3 broke the $8 million mark in North America during its fourth week in release. The sequel is the biggest Bollywood hit of all time in the U.S. and Canada after maintaining strong box office holds following a record-breaking $3.4 million opening weekend.
The film is slowing down its North American run after only grossing $99,243 from 43 theaters in its latest frame. The North American cumulative total for Dhoom 3 is $8,031,955,
'Dhoom 3' Looks to Break $8M in North America on January 12, 2014
Dhoom 3 enters its third weekend in North America on the verge of hitting the $8 million mark. The most successful Bollywood film of all time has grossed a total of $7.93 million over its first three weeks in North American release.
The daily grosses for the film are included below:
Friday, December 20
Total - $7,932,711
INDIA: 'Dhoom 3' Slows in Third Frame; 'Sholay 3D' Takes Second Place on January 10, 2014
Hindi-language grosses for Dhoom 3 slowed down in the film's third week after taking $3.1 million from 1,588 theaters. The record-breaking film has now grossed a total of $41.5 million in the Hindi-language version distributed across India.
Bollywood classic Sholay was re-released in 3D in 758 theaters, collecting $1.3 million in its new theatrical outing. It was enough of a gross to claim second place in India, edging out new release Mr. Joe B Carvalho which opened in 929 theaters for a $477k debut.
Top Ten Domestic Films in India:
* Indicates Hindi grosses only.