Fandango Sells 19% of Opening Weekend Box Office for “Harry Potter” Finale; Largest Share for Any Movie in the Company’s 11-Year History
on July 17, 2011
(Los Angeles -- Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination, announced today that it sold 19% of all ticket sales for "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2", which took in a projected domestic weekend box office of $168.6 million*.
Fandango's ticket sales for "Deathly Hallows, Part 2" is the company's largest share of the opening weekend box office for any movie in the company's 11-year history. Fandango's new top percentages are as follows.
Fandango's Top 5 Shares of Wide Release Opening Weekend Box Office:
* "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2" (2011) - 19%
• "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" (2009) - 18%
• "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1" (2010) - 17%
* "Sex and the City" (2008) - 16%
• "Twilight" (2008) - 15%
"Part 2" is also the new record holder as the movie with the most tickets ever sold via mobile applications on Fandango (the previous record-holder was "The Hangover II"). Friday, July 15 was the top day for mobile ticket sales in Fandango history.
"'Harry Potter' is truly invincible," says Fandango Executive Vice President and General Manager Rick Butler. "Fandango's sizable percentage of the film's opening weekend is a testament to the adoption of online and mobile ticketing as the way to go to the movies, and we are glad Fandango makes moviegoing easier for so many film fans."
As a sign of Fandango's growing popularity, more than 30 million people visited Fandango's Web and mobile destinations in June, and the company is pacing to surpass that traffic in July. For this year's summer movie season, nearly 20% of Fandango's ticket sales have come from the company's mobile apps, including iPhone and iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Palm and Windows Phone 7.
Thanks to "Part 2", Thursday, Friday and Saturday (July 14,15 and 16, 2011) were Fandango's top three ticket-selling dates for 2011 to date. The final "Potter" adventure slayed a series of additional records on Fandango, including:
• Top 2011 Sales for Any Movie: Before it even opened, "Part 2" outsold the cumulative ticket sales for previous 2011 top-sellers like "The Hangover II" and "Transformers: Dark of the Moon".
• Top Midnight Show Ticket-Seller: Among the reported 3,800 Thursday midnight locations (where the film showed on multiple screens), Fandango sold out more than 6,000 of those theater's midnight showtimes.
• Fandango's Top Percentage of Ticket Sales for Midnight Shows: Fandango sold nearly one-third of all ticket sales for "Part 2"'s midnight showtimes.
According to a Fandango survey of more than 1,000 moviegoers, 62% of "Potter" fans plan to see the movie more than once in the theater, indicating repeat viewings throughout the week. As of Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m. PT, the film still accounts 91% of all daily tickets sold on Fandango.
*Estimated box office info from BoxOffice.com