LAS VEGAS/ShoWest - Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoer destination, is unveiling a new convenience for film fans, where they can get movie tickets sent as barcodes to their mobile phones.
Fandango is rolling out its "Mobile Ticket" program in eight markets around the country, with more markets to come.
The benefit is that moviegoers can simply take their mobile phones straight to theater ticket-takers, who scan the phones' barcodes, allowing customers to bypass the box office windows and kiosks.
Fandango's Mobile Ticket works with most mobile carriers, and does not require a smart phone. The program is rolling out to more than 100 screens in the Reading Cinemas circuit, including:
• New York: City Cinemas 1, 2 & 3, Angelika Film Center, East 86th Street Cinemas, Village East Cinema, Beekman Theatre, The Paris Theatre.
• New Jersey: Manville 12 Plex.
• Houston: Angelika Film Center.
• Dallas/Plano: Angelika Dallas; Angelika Plano.
• San Diego: La Mesa Grossmont Center, Clairemont Town Square Stadium.
• Bakersfield: Valley Plaza 16.
• Sonoma County: Rohnert Park 16.
• Hawaii: Ward Stadium, Kahala Theater, Kapolei 16, Mililani Stadium.
"We've already seen success in the mobile space with our variety of apps for the iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Palm and others," says Rick Butler, Chief Operating Officer of Fandango. "We know that Mobile Ticket will be one more Fandango convenience that moviegoers will enjoy. Our cell phones are with us all the time - so what better way to ensure you have your movie ticket?"
"Reading Cinemas is honored to work with an innovative company like Fandango," said Terri Moore, Vice President of Theater Operations for Reading Cinemas' Western division. "Fandango's Mobile Ticket is extremely convenient and our customers really enjoy being on the cutting edge of this new technology."